AGTA Cutting Edge Awards™
A special division within the AGTA Spectrum Awards™, the AGTA Cutting Edge Awards™ are dedicated exclusively to celebrating the excellence and creativity of lapidary artists.
• Entries in Classic, All Other Faceted, Phenomenal, and Pairs & Suites may have been created anywhere in the world, but must be submitted by U.S. or Canadian companies.
• Entries in all other Cutting Edge categories must have been created and submitted by lapidaries in the U.S. or Canada.
• All entries may incorporate existing lapidary techniques. However, entries in the Pairs & Suites, Innovative Faceting, Carving, and Objects of Art categories must reflect unique, innovative designs.
• The Classic Gemstones category is limited to traditional cuts among Ruby, Emerald and Sapphire. The Other Faceted Gemstones and Phenomenal Gemstones categories also honor traditional cuts in these gemstones. The entries in these categories will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
1) Quality of Lapidary Work
3) Quality/Rarity of Gem Material
4) Overall Beauty
• Each entry in Pairs & Suites, Innovative Faceting, Carving, and Objects of Art categories will be evaluated on the following criteria:
1) Originality of Design
2) Quality of Lapidary Work
4) Quality/Rarity of Gem Material
5) Overall Beauty
Judging occurs in up to three stages: Elimination, Scoring, and Placing (if necessary).
During the judging process, all judges, the CEO and the Spectrum Committee Chairman will be in the room. The CEO and Committee Chairman will be present solely to answer judges’ questions. The AGTA Staff will be present solely to assist judges in removing and/or arranging the entries as needed.
Judging Procedures - Stage 1: Elimination
All pieces will be reviewed independently by each judge. Pieces that do not meet the evaluation criteria and/or do not merit further consideration will be marked with a “NO” on the judges’ evaluation form. Entries that receive a “NO” vote from all five judges will be removed from further consideration.
All remaining pieces will be reviewed independently by each judge. Pieces that do not merit further consideration will be marked with a “NO” on the judges’ evaluation form. Entries that receive a “NO” vote from at least three judges will be removed from further consideration.
Judging Procedures - Stage 2: Scoring
Each judge will independently review the remaining pieces and evaluate it in accordance with the appropriate criteria above.
Each criterion is worth 1 to 5 points, with a total maximum score of 20 points for Classic, All Other Faceted, and Phenomenal categories, and 25 points for Pairs & Suites, Innovative Faceting, Carving, and Objects of Art categories.
Scores will be tallied and combined. Entries will be placed on the tables in the order of their scores from highest to lowest.
Judging Procedures - Stage 3: Placing
If needed, all judges will confer to determine the place and special award winners. Entries will be re-scored in relation to the other remaining entries. The judges may choose to select first, second, and third place winners for each category.
• All first, second, and third place winners will receive a trophy.
• Judges may select one honorable mention award per category. Honorable Mention winners will receive a certificate.
• AGTA Cutting Edge Awards™ winners may be considered for the Best of Show award.