We got the scoop on safety from two of the best in the business:
Arthur Mattor, Sergeant, NYPD Retired, and Skip Woodward, Tucson PD Retired and Head of AGTA Security.
Here’s what they have to say about being safe and prepared when you go to a trade show:
1. Be aware of your surroundings and who is around you, especially once you leave the show site. It’s safest to leave as a group-not alone. Have your phone close if needed, but try to stay off of it until you’re in a secure space.
2. Always remove the show badge when you leave, and don’t discuss your shopping needs or purchases unless you’re in a secure space. Don’t advertise what you’re doing to others around you.
3. Be discrete. Don’t show cash or product, and if possible, don’t hand carry your purchases home. It is safest to ship them or have the ex- hibitor ship them to you when they return from the show.
4. If you have to carry goods, make sure they are always in a secure, sturdy bag with a strong strap and a closed top; never let the bag out of your sight.
5. Hotel security.Always use the hotel safe! Do not answer the door of your room unless you are expecting the person on the other side. Never hesitate to contact hotel security if you feel uncomfortable.
6. If you are walking to your car and you notice anything odd about your car, e.g., flat tire, broken glass, someone hanging around, walk away and go to the nearest police officer at the show or call 911. If you are driving and have a sudden flat tire or car problems, keep driving and call 911.
7. Be aware of distractions. Do not be afraid to be loud if someone is bothering you; speak loudly and clearly to draw attention to your situation.
8. If someone confronts you with a weapon, give them what they want and get away. You can always replace goods or money; your life is most important.
And probably, most important:
9. Trust your instincts! They are almost always right. Don’t hesitate to contact a police officer; that’s what they are there for.
2018 AGTA GemFair™ Tucson Dates & Hours
GemHall & Galleria:
Tuesday, Jan. 30 – Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018 – 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018 – 10:00am -4:00pm
Tools, Technology & Supplies Pavilion / Ballroom
Tuesday, Jan. 30 – Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 – 9:30am – 6:00pm
AGTA Office: 800-972-1162 or firstname.lastname@example.org